Tuesday, August 29, 2006

A Year Ago

I can't believe it's been a year since Hurricane Katrina hit. I was watching a special on TV last night with Brian Williams. As I was watching this special my heart just cried. It was so sad. I forgot the specifics of what happened. There was footage of the people in the superdome before the hurricane, during the hurricane and after. I cried as I watched a mother hold her naked baby trying to feed it from a bottle, water I think. The baby was so hot, and lifeless in his mothers arms. Another mother with 3 babies, all hungry and thirsty. The man laying on the sidewalk, with people around him encourageing him to live. The people dead in wheelchairs and on the ground, from lack of food, water, medicine.
How could this have happened in America? Why did it take days for any food and water to get to these people. The head of Fema at the time said days later that they just found out. Idiot. Does he not watch the news? Brian Williams was there every day reporting. How could he not have known. The question of race has come up several times. If this had happened in Myrtle Beach, would it have taken as long to get people food and water? Sad so sad. I just don't get it. There are people in this country worth millions and billions, and we couldn't send helicopters of food? I just don't get it. There was an update. The lifeless baby lived. Praise God. I don't know what I would have done in that situation, the desperation those people felt, hungry, thirsty, hot, suffering, hopeless. Makes me realize that my problems are miniscule compared to what the victims of Hurricane Katrina went through.

No comments: