Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Happy Birthday Isabel

Isabel turns 4 today. As my little girl grows up, one of the things we want to instill in her is the act of giving back to others who aren't a fortunate as she is. Also that beauty is who you are on the inside, not merely what you look like on the outside.
Yesterday I thought about my friend Dixie who grows her hair long only to chop it off to donate it to Locks of Love.

Locks of Love is a public non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children under age 18 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis. We meet a unique need for children by using donated hair to create the highest quality hair prosthetics. Most of the children helped by Locks of Love have lost their hair due to a medical condition called alopecia areata, which has no known cause or cure. The prostheses we provide help to restore their self-esteem and their confidence, enabling them to face the world and their peers.

I showed Isabel the website and the pictures of the kids with no hair. I told her this morning that since she got alot of presents for her birthday she needs to give a present to someone else. I talked to her about sharing and giving to others who don't have. My hope is that she will make the decision to give back.

2 comments:

Jeff Dowdle said...

Happy Birtday Isabel.

Looking at Mommy's wish list maybe she can lead by example. :-)

mommyofangels said...

I'll have you know I always give my stuff away. Haven't yet decided what I'll be giving back this year. Ok people any suggestions?