Monday, March 14, 2005

Class Bully

Ok, got a dilema. Isabel is the class bully at church. She is older and bigger than everyone else. So when she wants something and doesn't get it, she starts to hit the other kids. I was teaching her class Sunday night and caught her twice hitting a kid. How do I teach her that this is not acceptable behavior. I've tried spanking her hand, putting her in time out, talking to her.... is this just a phase? Do I continue putting her in time out while explaining what she did is wrong?
Any suggestions? Click on comments below to add a comment. Thanks

2 comments:

Shelley said...

I wouldn't spank her hand when she hits someone -- it may be sending her mixed signals. She could be thinking that is what she gets when you don't want her to do something or have something and so she is just doing the same thing to someone else. Redirect her attention to something else. I don't know how often you teach the class, but you could make her your special helper so that she is busy. Might be a way to ward off any behavior you don't want.

Anonymous said...

I think that the day that one of the other kids hits her back (which I hope they don't hit too hard) she will realize that it hurts and maybe this will be enough for her to stop. In the mean time continue to put her in time out.