Thursday, May 19, 2005

Why wear a watch?

Late 1980's, I play Bass Clarinet in the marching band for Nimitz Jr. High. We always get sweepstakes at the UIL contests. How, you ask, by working hard. We are there in the hot sun everyday durning the summer at 8:00 in the morning. If we are even a minute late, we have to run around the field with our instruments. On game days, If we are not in formation, with our instruments by 6:30, then we have to run around the field in the hot sun with our hot uniform, in uncomfortable shoe with our instruments. I feel sorry for the Tuba and Bass Drum players. I never wanted to be one of those people. I had to depend on my mom to get me to school she would always be running late. When she'd ask me "What time do you have to be there?", I'd tell her, "6:00"... I'd always give her a time of 30 minutes before I'd have to be there, because she'd always be 15 minutes late. Being in band taught me the value of being on time, especially when someone is counting on you.

At church I am the director of Childrens Missions. We meet every Wednesday from 7-8pm.
0-1 are Mission Babies, 1-2 are Mission Buddies, and 2-4 are Mission Friends. Boys and Girls in school up until the 6th grade are CiA's (Children in Action). Every month we focus on a specific country and missionary who lives in that Country. This month it's Greece. The kids have a great time. Everyweek I arrive at 6:30 to prepare and be in my class by 6:45 to receive the kids who are coming, and so that we can start on time and end on time.

We are 5 teachers including myself, only myself and the teacher for Mission Babies get there at 6:30. The others come at 7:00 maybe 7:05. When this happens it throws everything off. I can't do anything about the kids running around, because I'm in my class. Thank God that I have a great Education director who helps me facilitate in these situations. I just don't understand. When these teachers go to their secular jobs, they are on time. One of the teachers is a Marine and Firefighter. He can never be late for work. But oftentimes is late for his class. The kids are our future, they depend on us, the LORD depends on us. If you strive to please your boss by being on time, but your not on time for God, what does that say?

Lord knows that I'm not perfect in this area. I just pray that our Missions area gets stronger. The first step is simple. Be there on time.

No comments: